Pages

0

A long-overdue letter

Thursday, June 14, 2012
Dear Evil Stepfather:
 We sure have had our differences, haven't we? I know it was unforgivable of me to hate you all those years you beat the holy shit out of my mother; all the times we ate ketchup sandwiches because you drank up all the grocery money. All the times we kids went to school with no lunch (or breakfast), and those winters we frequently had no jackets. We went 4 wonderful years without hot water because you refused to pay the bill; how we loved heating up water in a big pot on the stove just so we could take a lukewarm bath. We went that long without being able to watch TV either--although it didn't stop you from waking us up in the middle of the night (on school nights) and making us sit on the couch and stare at it; we could neither speak, move nor look at anything else but that blank screen until you got tired of the game and passed out. That was your favorite game wasn't it? 

When I got old enough for college, you refused to help ME monetarily, although you paid both my older sisters' way through college (even though they were both married), and my younger brothers too--because your business was making millions. I never said anything when you bought my baby brother a new Corvette for his first car (I got a used '78 Grenada). I just found a guy to marry and got out of there. Then came the "keep Kim away from her mother" game which continued until I finally said fuck it and just quit having anything to do with the lot of you all those years. 


When you started coughing up blood, I was so happy! I just knew you'd die soon and I could have my family back--but NO dice. You just stopped drinking and smoking which extended your miserable life 20 more years. But you know what, all these things were nothing compared to what you did to Aaron & me in 2005; see, we were living in Biloxi, MS--less than 3 miles from the coast. If we had not been invited to a friend's house the night before Katrina hit, we wouldn't have made it. So we came home to Mama, thinking surely it was ok to stay there a couple weeks until we could find somewhere else to live. But YOU told mom we'd have to leave. You didn't care that we had just lost everything. That was the last straw. We left and I never saw you again because, 5 months later, the cancer you'd been refusing to see a doctor about finally killed you.


Understandably to me, I chose not to attend your funeral, as I would not have been able to resist the urge to dance in the aisle, laugh out loud, and spit on your worthless carcass. But apparently it wasn't understandable to the rest of the family because they all disowned Aaron and me. So even though you're dead you cost me my whole family. I hope it was all worth it to you. Now every year, on February 12, I celebrate the fact that you're still dead.


HA.

0 comments:

Post a Comment